Thursday, April 1, 2010

Homefront: Shabby White and Bunny Easter Mantel



Some of us have so much stuff we want, no *need* to decorate with, it can get a little daunting.

I have had these adorable blue bunny peeps lights and never know what to do with them. So, I put them around the mirror. I left up other pieces like all those letters and an aqua vase) for character and color.


But, it was just, too much. So much stuff ones eye doesn't know where to rest. The details get lost.


So, I took some stuff down, put it back in my Easter decorating box and maybe I'll use them somewhere else, maybe not, but I'm not stressing it. I encourage you to remove ONE thing from your mantle to see if there is any kind of marked improvement. I still may remove some things, we'll see.


But at least, the mantle looks much more simple. It's still a little busy, and taking it all in sections is easier, but I can enjoy the pieces together as a whole for what they are. Layla of The Lettered Cottage and Nester both have some great mantle tips and so does Kimba where I'm linking my post at A Soft Place to Land! Also linking at a to z "ready set vingette" and Life as Lori.


Amongst the eggs and bunnies, you can still see that I am trying to keep the true theme, the resurrection of our Saviour, the Son of God, Jesus Christ. The central reminder in our home with a little bust of Him and a plaque of the empty tomb. I've been considering giving that plaque a light white wash of paint, what do you think? This minty green chandalier, used to be a very brassy tarnished one. I lightly sanded, cleaned and painted it.


In any case, I hope your Easter is lovely and that you have an enjoyable and a spiritual day.

Along with lots of candy, spending time with family and hunting eggs, we will be watching one of my favorite Atonement movies, Finding Faith in Christ. It always helps me to feel the Spirit and have love and appreciation for the Savior. You can order a free copy of the DVD here or watch it in full here. This little video below has a few small scenes.



Oh, and for all of you wondering, this was my "Easter mantel shelf" from last year.

*Also posted at Vixen Made, thank you!


15 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That is so fun, Lisa! I want a mantle!!

Contemplating Cadie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Contemplating Cadie said...

Oops! I deleted my comment.

Your mantel is so fun! I loved your advice to remove something. Kind of like the fashion rule to get fully dressed then remove on accessory.

Also, thank you for the sweet reminders of what this season is all about.

Mrs. Blimes said...

So funny! I am strugglingto decorate my mantle and googled mantle decor and your blog came up! Nice! You did a great job... if only I could decide where to begin!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Whenever I do my mantel I'm always putting stuff up, taking it down, rearranging, tweaking, fluffing, etc.! It's a fun process :). Glad to have you join the party!

Michelle Lyman Design said...

Such a sweet display for Easter.

Bekki said...

Love the green candlestick! It looks lovely with the arrangement.
Thanks for the tip about the plants. I'll have to try it, although my kitty tends to nibble on the plastic plants to. I
am not sure how much a deterant it would be. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leanne said...

I love those chocolate bunnies and the topiaries. I'm always moving things around on my mantel, adding things and removing things. Eventually it feels just right.

Lori said...

Your mantle is very pretty!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another wonderful party!!

Please stop by next week I am having guest over each day and I would love for you to tell them HI!

milkcan said...

The easter egg tree is super cute!

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction said...

It's great. I love your advice to remove something. it's so true, with fashion and with home decor! Happy Easter.

Anonymous said...

First time to your sweet blog via Kimba's Soft Place to Land. I like all the vignettes you've established on your mantel. I especially like the pieces you've used with the vintage look.

Wishing you a blessed Easter and all the wonders of spring.

Deborah
http://fairfieldhousenj.com/2010/04/03/flowerplace/

Nishant said...

I loved your advice to remove something. Kind of like the fashion rule to get fully dressed then remove on accessory.
free classified india

Unknown said...

I love it all! Great job. I featured this on my blog today: http://www.vixenmade.com/2013/03/creative-easter-mantles.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails